Sunday, November 11, 2012

During sociology lecture, the lecturer said that many cultures present flowers to the dead. She said that  it could be due to the fact that flowers are a symbol of the cycle of life. They die and bloom again with each season in a continuous cycle.

I disagree though. Maybe that's one of the reasons. However, the flowers that are presented are those which are on the verge of death. These flowers can never bloom again. I feel that these flowers show the end of a journey. The cycle has been broken and it is a point of no return. Of course, people who believe in reincarnation would disagree. But even if you reincarnated, the life you lead would be different. Your identity is different. I just can't see this as the repeat of a cycle.

The first thing that came to my mind when I thought of flowers was how fragile life is. Life is so easily taken away and so short. The flower is the prettiest at it's peak and never reaches that same peak again.

Some nights, I start thinking of the sequence of life and no matter where I start, I end up with death. The thought of death freezes me. It's scary to think that at that moment I become nothing more than a corpse. I become a figment of memory and imaginations. I am not me anymore. My body and mind are seperated.

And I start to think of my family and friends leaving me. At the single point between life and death, you know that they are forever departed. That is what forever is. It's not found in love or you gender or status. It's found in death. Death is forever. Forever in our genes. Forever chasing us, stealing from us. 

The absolute fate imprinted in us all.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

How true! But there is no need to think so far till death! There is so much more before that!